Tuesday, 8 December 2015
Oscar Pistorious to be under house arrest as he awaits murder sentence (Photos)
The sentencing hearing is due to be held on 18 April next year.
The athlete would also appeal against his murder conviction in the Constitutional Court, his lawyer said.
Bail has been set at 10,000 rand ($700, £450). Pistorius was deemed not to be a flight risk by Judge Audrey Ledwaba.
Pistorius can remain under house arrest at his uncle’s home until sentencing next year, and will be electronically tagged. He also has to hand over his passport.
He will be able to leave the house between 7am and midday, but will only be able to move within a 20km (12 miles) radius.
He is currently under house arrest after spending one year of his original five-year sentence in jail.
In his bail affidavit, he said he had no income. During the hearing, his lawyer said he was only able to pay a sum of 10,000 rand for his bail.
The 29-year-old killed Ms Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day after shooting four times through a locked toilet door.
Pistorius is a six-time Paralympic gold medallist whose legs were amputated below the knee as a baby. He made history by becoming the first amputee sprinter to compete at the Olympics, in 2012, running on prosthetic “blades”.
Last week, South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein accepted prosecution arguments and ruled that the lower court did not correctly apply the concept of “dolus eventualis” – whether Pistorius knew that a death would be a likely result of his actions.
Last week’s ruling said that having armed himself with a high-calibre weapon, Pistorius must have foreseen that whoever was behind the door might die, especially given his firearms training.
Pistorius always maintained that he believed there was an intruder in the house – but Justice Eric Leach said that the identity of the person behind the door was “irrelevant to his guilt”.
The judge added that Pistorius did “not take that most elementary precaution of firing a warning shot”.
Correspondents say that many in South Africa were upset by the original acquittal on murder charges. Women’s rights groups argued he should have been found guilty of murder as a deterrent because of the high number of women who are killed by their partners in the country.
The double amputee was released from prison on 19 October under “correctional supervision”, having served a sixth of his sentence.